Ridge & Downes - Law Firm

This FAQ section is provided as a general guideline to the rights and responsibilities of an employee who has been injured on the job. It does not, and cannot, contain all of the benefits and obligations pertaining to each specific case. Furthermore, it does not set forth the statute of limitations, nor the time limitations, of what you must do for proceeding with a workers ’ compensation claim. Each workers’ compensation case is unique and the law is frequently modified by the legislature and the courts.

This FAQ section is not intended as a replacement for the advice of an experienced attorney. In fact, if you have suffered an injury that is work related, you should consult an attorney knowledgeable on the law in your State for proper advice regarding the same.

How do I file a claim?

It often becomes necessary to file a claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. Claims must be filed within the time allotted by law; otherwise, your right to benefits may be barred. Consult with an attorney to determine the filing period that would apply for your particular injury.

 Claims must be filed with the Workers’ Compensation Commission on official Commission forms. Once your claim has been filed with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, only a settlement agreement on the pink form titled “Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission Settlement Contract Lump Sum Petition and Order,” approved by the Commission, can close out your right to future medical care and disability compensation. No other statements, forms, letters or such documents prepared by your employer or anybody other than the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission can deprive you of your rights under the Act. 

If you've been hurt in a workplace injury, let us help you get the settlement you deserve.


© 2010 by Ridge & Downes - All rights reserved.